Years later he tried to rejoin the common working life without success to find a job so he decided to start and create his own show company circuses. (Do these kinds of stories sound familiar?)
In 1984 with his partner Daniel Gauthier and some friends “actors“from the street, what today is the Cirque du Soleil, a business that has a turnover of US $ 1.6 billion a year.
The Guy Laliberté story is one of those stories that excites me and I love to share for a reason: perfectly illustrates the Entrepreneurial Spirit and the enormous power of dreams.
But Cirque de Soleil is much more than just a circus turned into a business. Guy’s true success is having applied a whole marketing strategy to his business that starts from the creation and construction of a brand synonymous with fun of the highest quality. How much would you pay to see the show live?
Some of Guy’s Success Secrets:
- He reinvented the circus and turned it into an engaging show of the highest quality
- Cirque de Soleil recreates a unique magic like no other
- Combine circus skills with dance, live music and performance
- Perfection is a requirement down to the smallest detail
- They have a staff that is constantly looking for the best artists from around the world
- Creativity has no limit and is recognized among its collaborators
- Every idea is considered and planned in detail
- Its more than 3000 employees are very well paid and according to them they affirm “the human resource is the main asset” of their company
- The average salary for an artist is $ 60,000 a year. “We understand that if an actor is not happy, it shows on stage” so it is important to recognize their value
- We combine art and business
- Training is constant
- They never rent and always travel with a mega tent that houses the actors and collaborators of the show
- Their income comes from the sale of tickets and sponsorships
- We arrived a year before at each location to know the place and the people to whom we will provide the show, everything is planned
- We manage the culture of change “We always understand that tomorrow is different from today“, innovation is constant
- We travel with actors of 42 nationalities, we understand that each person is different and we respect them as such
- We replace the authority argument with the authority of the argument
- “The leader is the owner of the best idea”
- The company invests 1% of what it earns in social and cultural programs
We are like sellers of happiness and we take pride in what we do.
Today Guy Laliberté appears on the Forbes list as one of the richest men in Canada and the Cirque du Soleil is made up of more than 4000 employees who travel around the world with their families. The show has been seen by more than 70 million people. For this and much more, Cirque de Soleil’s story is our story of the month.
Did you know that Guy Laliberté will be the next space tourist?
You may also like: